November 10, 2009

This month forces me to reflect a lot more than any other month for three reasons:
1. Adoption awareness month
2. Thanksgiving
3. My birthday

Let's start with number three! Turning thirty was tough for me. (I know what all you older ones are thinking, so think to yourselves.) Not only at age 25 did I think to meeself, "Self, you now have to act like an adult." But at age 30, what do I say? "Self, you are just getting old, that's why your back hurts every morning." Yikes, here I am Thirty years old, with two kids and living back in our "home town" doing the mom thing. I have to admit that I am doing exactly what I thought I would be doing! It makes me realize that I need to be smelling the roses every day cuz, in another 5 years, I just might be back in school while my kids are in school. Hmmmmm, enjoy every moment of this full time mom thing is what I have reflected on.

2. Thanksgiving. I cannot tell you how much I love this time of year!! I love the snow, the peace and quiet is gives to nature. The beauty that it drops on everything. On a sunny wintery day, I am just in awe at the contrast of the blue, blue sky and the glistening white snow. Which brings me to my next reason for loving this time of year: CHRISTMAS MUSIC! I cannot get enough of it. I am one of those crazy people that start listening to it the day after my birthday until the new year. Then I sneak a little bit of it in July just to mark the 6 months till my favorite time is here again. I know, I am crazy like that. And the last reason for loving this time of year is for family time. I wish there were more holidays throughout the year that were just as important for family to get together as the winter holidays are! When I am asked if I could be anywhere or do anything I wanted for a week, my answer is ALWAYS it doesn't matter where as long as my family is with me.
So family parties: look out cuz here comes Amber!

And last but most important is Adoption awareness. I have so much to be grateful for! My destiny as a mother is because of adoption. Yes, I had 8 hard years of doctor visits, medicine, testing and bad news, sleepless nights, tear-filled pillows, and gloomy mother's days. But all of that has been erased because of two special women in my life who did the most unselfish thing any human could do. They have given me a chance to be the mother I have dreamed of for years. As I reflect on the events in my life, I can't help but think that I am the luckiest girl to have gone through what I did.
* I know what it feels like to long to be a mother.

* I have learned what having patience is all about.

* I know how important friends are to boost you up when you are down. Because of my friends, I have learned what it takes to be a true friend.

* I have witnessed the true act of charity, love and sacrifice.

* I understand how instantly I can love someone beyond words at first sight. It's the feeling of loving this little person before you ever met them.

* I know how much love Heavenly Father has for every one of his children. So many things have to be just right for adoptions to happen, it wouldn't happen without Heavenly Father's hand in it all.

* I get to hear "Congratulations, you now have a son/daughter" from a judge. It sounds weird, but there's something about proving to the courts that I am worthy to be a parent. Then hearing them say, "You did it!"

* I get to be a part of the literal sealing of my family forever.

* I know how it feels to see my children dressed in white in the most peaceful and holy places on Earth.

* I feel the comfort and love that comes from a birth family. The continuous assurance that this was meant to be.

* There is always someone who loves to hear about the tiny details in my kids lives and gets just as excited as I do about them.

* I get to tell my children bedtime stories about where they came from and who they are and how much they are loved. It is a story unique just for them.

* I share in the joy of another family when they are told the news of a child that is coming to their home, and all of these same feelings come back: the joy for the family, the sweet peace that comes with that child filling a void, the pure love and charity that overflows from that birth mother and mostly the overwhelming love of my Heavenly Father.

There is so much to reflect on this month and so much more to be grateful for.

0 comments: