March 1, 2011

Power Trips and Cop-outs

It was a warm day today and the ice was turning into slush outside and since the kids wanted to play outside anyway, I decided to hack away at the wall of ice that has built up ON THE ROAD in front of our driveway. You see, the road is not level and it seems to be the lowest part right in front of our house. So the ice melts and puddles up right in front of our driveway, then it freezes and makes this puddle of ice that is at least 8 inches deep. Then as it gets warm, the edges of this wall of ice start breaking off and making steep drop offs. My car hits bottom everytime!

Back to my story; As I am skimming the top layer of slush off this wall of ice, I am throwing the slush onto the street where it was dry so it could melt faster. A cop decides to stop by and says to me; "Do you want to be fined for doing that?"

My response; "Excuse me?"

"There is a city ordinance about throwing snow into the road." She states.

I laugh and say; "You are kidding me!"

She challenges me by saying she will go get a book. I change the subject by saying; "Every year the plow leaves a huge wall of snow on our side of the street and in the spring when it starts to melt, it just so happens that right in front of our house is the lowest spot in the road, so we get the huge puddle that turns into ICE! So is there anyway that you can get the city to start up that plow sitting right across the street and come take care of this huge wall of ice so that I can access my driveway without taking out the bottom of my car?"


I proceed to tell her that I probably shouldn't throw the snow from my DRIVEWAY out into the street for whatever reason. I respect that, but I pointed out to her that we were both standing in the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD on this wall of ice! Yes, this menace that I am hacking away at IS in the middle of THE CITY'S STREET!

Her response was simply, "I'm sure in the spring, the city will take care of that."

SHE DIDN'T EVEN LISTEN TO ME!! In the spring? Ya, I am sure that mother nature is going to take care of it way before your promise will take place lady!!!

Before I could even think, I mumbled the stupidest thing; "Nice Cop-out."
(Haha, get the pun?? I didn't at first and I AM the one who said it)

She just looked at me and said; "I am going to walk away before I decide to give you a ticket. Have a nice day."

I didn't dare say anything else, but now I can think of a million things to say. And now that stupid gigantic puddle / ice wall will irritate me until it stops freezing outside.

I am grateful for police officers and what their jobs are, but I despise power trips and cop outs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE.

Dawson Family said...

You are lucky! A cop having a bad day may have taken you in for badgering a cop, lol. Idaho winters are just no fun because they don't ever plow and when they do they block you in your own driveway. Glenn has spent many hours digging us out.
Amy