January 18, 2009

Too soon to be forgotten

Shhhh, quiet.

Can you hear that?? Ya, absolute silence. Something well deserved after today.

Let's back up a bit. Last night, my hubby took me out to a nice dinner and we left the kids with a sitter. It was so nice to get all dressed up and feel important. No kids and all my hubby's attention on me. Perfect! (Thanks honey!) We got home late and we were both exhausted. I think we both fell asleep before our heads hit the pillow.

An hour later we woke up to Paisley crying. After the third try, we realized that just putting a binky in her mouth was not going to satisfy her. Adam got up and made her a bottle and then she decided to she was NOT going to go back to sleep. Adam finally climbed back in bed around 3 am. I love that he is willing to help. I just wish that I could sleep through it all. I lay there and toss and turn, then decide to get up and see what I can do, only to be told to go back to bed.

Around 5:45 this morning, we hear a beautiful yet disappointing sound. Knock, knock. Yes, Treycen was up and ready to play. He is so cute how he just knocks on the door and hollers "mommy" or "amber" until I come and open the door. Then I am greeted with "hi mommy" and he walks right past me and up the stairs for breakfast. He doesn't waste any time. (Someday I will catch this routine on video.) I followed him up the stairs and read through my lesson while he sat and ate cherios. Well, at least that was what I thought he was doing. When I went to check on him, he had crushed every cherio into powder and was blowing the powder in every direction across the kitchen!

That's just the start of how my morning went. After three poopy diapers, antoher cherio mess, snotty noses and barf, we managed to get to church on time and sacrament meeting went pretty normal. Treycen going from one thing to the next in his big church bag. Drinking an entire sippy of juice in one gulp and eating several bags of fruit snacks and crackers. (Anything to keep him entertained.) Then it was off to nursery and class.

This is where it gets bad! Adam had to go to work so I knew I was on my own for the remainder of church. Grandpa was in the hospital still and Grandma had gone to see him so my backups were gone too. I thought to myself, I am wonder woman, I can do this! About ten minutes into my lesson, I hear a knock on the classroom door. I open it to hear "hi mommy" and Treycen walks right past me into the room. I look out in the hall and there is no adult to be seen! I tell my class to read a few verses out of the scriptures out loud while I run Treycen back to nursery, leaving Paisley on the floor playing with toys. When I walked into nursery holding Treycen, you should have seen the teachers' eyes! I just said, "Appearently someone escaped!" They were apologizing up and down. It wasn't a big deal, and I am really glad that he knew where my classroom was and wasn't wondering the halls!

After taking my class into the primary room for the remainder of the block, Paisley decides that she is done with church and starts crying and wouldn't let me sit down. With only ten minutes left of church, I am scheming up a plan to get both of my kids' coats on, Paisley in her carseat and both of them through the crowded halls and out into the car along with carrying three bags. Yes, I said THREE bags. One was full of Treycen stuff. The other was my lesson bag. And the last was the diaper bag. I thought I had a pretty good idea of how I was going to accomplish this task when I see Treycen walk into the primary room. He had a poopy diaper. I hadn't worked up a plan for this!!!! So I asked one of the mothers standing in the back with me to hold Paisley while I took care of some business. By the time I got back, Paisley was crying and primary was over so there were kids everywhere. My sweet cousin volunteered to help me get out to my car and all I can say is "THANK YOU!!" I couldn't have done it without her.

We got home in one piece and now that it is 2:30 in the afternoon and neither of my kids have had a nap, they are both sleeping soundly! So what am I going to do now? Lay my head down and hopefully get a few minutes of shut eye before the craziness starts happening again.Aren't they just so adorable? (No, Paisley is not puffing up air in her cheeks, she just loves food)

Why do I blog about this? I am not complaining if that is what you think. I just know that this will too soon be forgotten and someday I will look back at this and laugh, in fact I am laughing now. The daily routine of a mother is never appreciated until you are in the middle of it all.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

your blog made me laugh. i think i am busy with one. dan was sick last week and so i was on my own too.......im glad that you have a good perspective on it all.....but its like i tell dan sometimes.....there are days that nova is just a LITTLE cuter when she sleeps.....your kids are adorable!

Burbank Family said...

I understand the feeling. I am glad you made it in one piece.

Anonymous said...

Ok I laughed and stressed with you while reading this. Church can be hard enough to get through with kids, let alone being the only one to take them on! Good Job woman!