I can't tell you how many times I have told this story and every time I tell it, I kick myself for not writing it down, it's a long one, but someday it will be such a great story to tell the grandkids, so here we go.....
It seems to only happen when you really NEED to get something done. I woke up on a Tuesday morning and decided that my motherly duties were going to have to be put on the back burner for a while because I was coming up on some deadlines of a few projects.
When the kids woke up, I got Treycen (2 1/2) and Paisley (14 months) dressed and ready for the day. I put them both in there booster chairs and strapped them in so that they could be contained during breakfast so that I could work on my projects. I gave both of them a bowl of fruit loops. (That's what they get on a lazy-mom day) After a few minutes, I heard the kids laughing and knew that they were up to something. I walked into the kitchen to find an entire box of fruit loops and an entire gallon of milk poured out on the table in a "Mountain" as Treycen explained. He was soaked, the floor was soaked, and the fruit loops were getting soggier by the second.
After cleaning up that mess, I sat both of my children down in the playroom to play with their toys while I went back to work on my projects. I hear big crashes and go running to see that in a matter of a few seconds, they managed to dump out every toy out of the organized buckets and every book swept off the shelves. "Ughhhhh! Are you seriously kidding me?" They do this quite often, but after the mess in the kitchen, couldn't they just be good for a bit?
I send them both outside to play while I reorganize the toy room. When that's done, I check on them, they are playing so well together. YES!!! I go back to my projects. On my third trip to check up on the kids, I find Paisley sitting in front of a pile of dog food just shoveling it into her mouth as fast as she possibly could. Treycen said that Kramer was hungry so he got out some dog food. What a good little boy to feed his dog, right? I only dealt with diarrhea for the next two days -that's all.
At this point it is only noon, but that's a good thing cuz we get lunch and then we take naps. (Mom's sanity break) Treycen insists on cheese sandwich and tomato soup. The instant that I hand him his bowl of soup, he dumps it upside down. All over him and his sandwich. He went into the tub for his 2nd bath of the day.
I have to point out the good part of the day now! They both actually took a nap at the same time. I had one solid hour of peace and quiet! Then, my sweet curious spitfire of a boy woke up.
He was busy playing with all of his cars and I went back to work. I could hear him carrying on conversations with his cars and he was running from one end of the house to the other talking about going to work and coming home. So cute! Then it got quiet....
I found him in the toy room with all of his cars and legos all over the floor. Then I noticed he was covered in some white powder... I looked closer and I could see red gooey stuff all over him too. I start to panic and I start to examine the damage. This is what I found:
- an empty jar of grated parmesan cheese
- an empty box of baking soda
- an empty jar of home made strawberry jam
- an empty bottle of caramel syrup
- and our last gallon jug of milk, yes, empty!
I decide that doing my projects is just not worth it and I sit down to watch a movie with my kids. Adam calls and asks if he can have my undivided attention on the phone for a few minutes so I put both kids back into the clean playroom with the few toys that were left, (dirty ones still in the tub) and I shut the door. I didn't go anywhere, I was scared to leave so I stood right outside the door. When I got done with the phone conversation, I open the door to see what my beautiful children were doing.....
Paisley is smacking her lips with this creamy brown stuff all up her arms, all over her face and clothes. My first thought is, Where in the world did they find chocolate, then I look over at Treycen who is sitting on the floor driving his last few cars he had thru this brown stuff and realize that he is buck naked! Then the smell hits me! It was NOT CHOCOLATE!! I scream at the top of my lungs, "I just want to start this day over!" And, "Why can't you stay out of crap for one lousy minute??" (I laugh now, but I wasn't then)
So both kids got their 4th bath for the day which technically that last one was three baths cuz it was just disgusting! After the kids were sanitized, I went to examine the damage. Poop handprints all over the walls. Poop footprints all over the white carpet. Every toy that was left in there had some trace of poop on it. After hours of scrubbing the floor with every cleaner known to man, and then using a carpet shampooer 4 times, I still think that we need to replace the carpet in there!
There must be some kind of an award for my kids still being alive after a day like that! Or at least some kind of treatment for my insanity?
The story doesn't end there. Since this infamous Tuesday, I have cleaned up two more rooms with brown "art" all over it. Whatever am I going to do?? Where is the nearest nut house, you can come visit me there!
So thanks for all of your laughs with me for reassuring me that this is just a stage in my life. And thanks for reminding me that someday I will wish I knew they were just in the other room making "poop art" instead of out with their friends all hours of the night doing who knows what! That is just so comforting at a time like this.
Any of you who miss this time in your lives, just come borrow my two artists for a day. After all, they know how to build Mountains out of just about anything, Treycen can show you how to fill up the tiniest of spaces with any liquid or powder. And if you are wanting a make over to any room, they can do that in no time flat! They are geniuses! I love my kids (after all, they are both still alive).
9 comments:
Oh man Amber!!! That's quite the day...they should be very thankful they are alive after that. Kids are so creative in their own way.
Oh my gosh! Being a mom is seriously the hardest thing on the planet. Good thing kids are so cute, right? Other than your day or horror I hope you guys are doing well. We miss you around here!
Ohhhhh! I so don't even know what to say!!! I thought my bad days were about as bad as it could get, but apparently, I was wrong. WOW!!! You are such a good mom. I dont' know what I would have done in your shoes, but I know I would have just cried like a baby. Sometimes I am glad that kids do all their naughty stuff in one day so that for the next week they look like angels because they have yet to top their bad day. (sigh) isn't it wonderful being a mom.
Oh my! So where's the pictures? so this is what they mean when they talk about the "terrible twos". Wow! Hope it gets better around your house!
Sounds like you had a very wonderful day of the hard mom stuff. I hope the next week will be better for you. I love the bad mommy days they make you tougher and know you can handle anything.
Amber I love it. It sounds like a day at the Andersen home. I hope your little pieces of heaven are good for you today. Times like this make parenting hard but when they smile at you and give you hugs and kisses it all makes it worth it. haha i say that and now I am going to have to clean up poop art.
He,he,he! So Kamal is "normal"! I remember those days - not so long ago with him and I still fear that they'll be back at some point. So what did they do to your house while you were telling your story? Another day's story?! Just remember that parents are chosen by God and he won't give you more than you can handle:) Your children are very lucky to have you and Adam! We miss you!
Hmmmmm....I think I don't want any kids now!
Amber,
I followed your link from Patrick's (Fat Daddy)blog. I absolutely loved this post. When Patrick and Kevin were small, I had a very similar experience and I'll just leave you with the fact that were it not for a very in-tune visiting teacher who made a phone call at the precise moment I needed it, they would never have made it to their next birthdays.
Your children are darling and eventually, they will grow up, but I can't promise they will change...just look at mine!
Denise
Post a Comment