February 1, 2009

What's that smell? Fire!!

Treycen nearly burnt grandpa's house down tonight. I was home alone with the kids while everyone else was at the funeral home preparing Grandpa Bart for the viewing. Here's what happened:Treycen has been put in time out, spanked and sent to bed for sticking toys and things inside the fireplace several times. It's the tiny slot above the glass. This was the last time it happened! I took the kids upstairs for dinner and baths. We were probably up there for over an hour and all of the sudden I smell something like sugar burning. I go running to the stairs to see smoke billowing up from the basement! I have no clue why I didn't just run out of the house and call 911, but I ran down the stairs and to the fireplace. The smoke was so thick, I couldn't see two feet in front of me. When I got close enough the the fireplace, I could see something brown just sizzling and bubbling down the glass front and smoke steaming out of the top. I knew he had stuck something in there when it was off and then the thermostat kicked on the fireplace while we were upstairs and started the sweet smell of burnt sugar. I immediately shut off the fireplace and left until the smoke died down. I thought for sure I was going to have to call the in-laws and say, I realize this is a hard time with Grandpa Bart, but I have some more bad news..."
After the smoke went away and the fireplace cooled down, I went to assess the damages. I discovered that Treycen had found some miniture candy canes still in the wrapper and had put them in the fireplace. Without all the details, this will NEVER happen again cuz Adam bought some wire cage stuff and bolted it in every hole in that fireplace so no more things can be shoved inside! It reminds me of that book about Grover the monster that warns us about the monster at the end of the book and tries everything he can to stop us from turning more pages.

Treycen, DON'T TURN THE PAGE!! There will be a monster at the end of this book if you get through this wire mesh!!

0 comments: